- Introduction and set up
Course Introduction 1 min
Course Prompt 0 min
How to set up your trends analysis 0 min
- Search and Explore
How to search for trends 4 min
- Answering Questions
How to identify major narratives 2 min
How to identify niche narratives
How to identify major trends 2 min
How to identify emerging trends 0 min
- Sharing your analysis
How to share your trends analysis 0 min
Course 4: Trends Analysis
Learn to identify similarities between narratives, group them into higher level ideas using Quid, and understand how they evolve over time.
In this course, you will learn to conduct a Trend Analysis using the Quid Pro News dataset. A 'trend' is a collection of similar themes that can point to developments and changes over time. You will learn to identify similarities between narratives and group them into higher-level ideas using Quid.
This is the fourth lesson in the Quid Pro News Training Program. At this point you should have completed:
Continuing with our analysis of the plastic straw ban, the United Nations would like to host a session on the future of sustainability and alternatives to plastic waste. We will learn how to use Quid to understand trends related to plastic alternatives.
- What are the main topics of conversation on the future of plastics?
- What are niche narratives that might signal future innovation?
- What are the leading emerging trends on the future of plastics?
In this lesson, you will learn the following features at each stage of a Quid Pro analysis workflow:
- Search: Learn to use the powerful proximity operator and the Quid Query Builder to focus your search on trends
- Explore: Explore major narratives and learn to identify emerging & niche ideas
- Analyze: Learn how to use Tags to group ideas or trends across clusters
- Share: Review options for sharing your analysis
Be sure to download the Quid Query Builder (xlsx) in the 'Downloads' section below the video on "How to Search for Trends".
Applying What You Learn
The Trends Analysis is one of the most popular uses of Quid. Performing a Trends Analysis in the Quid News dataset alongside an investment analysis with the Companies dataset and IP analysis in Patents can create an incredibly rich picture of an industry. Looking for trends within News can be a quick way to:
- See which macro-themes or big ideas that are shaping an industry
- Understand how a topic has evolved over time
- Anticipate the future of an idea or industry